self paced reading experiment probelm

PennController for IBEX Forums Support self paced reading experiment probelm

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author

hello!
    I created an experiment consisting of self-paced reading for my thesis, published it and collected all the results, I am now trying to analyse the data using R, but I am afraid I have lost some very important data for my research. In my study I have participants read sentences with slef paced reading and after each stimulus I then ask an accuracy question.
    from my data I want to have:
    -the time it took a participant to read each piece of parsed sentence (and I can do this because it is marked in the “reading time” column),
    -the accuracy of response to each question, and I can also do this because I have the Selection between correct and wrong answers,
    -the third thing I would like to evaluate is the reading time of the questions and the reaction time to those questions. Here is the problem:
    in order to calculate the reaction time to the questions I had thought of taking the Eventtime that corresponds to the Selection line and subtracting from this the sum of all the Readingtimes of the analyzed sentence in question + Eventtime that corresponds to the presentation of the stimulus.
    The problem lies in the fact that the result obtained from the subtraction, which should be the reaction time to the question, is a smaller number than the sum of the various Reading times of form the sentence. How can I solve the problem?
    Thank you in advance.
    here is the demonstration link: https://farm.pcibex.net/r/heTuLQ/

Jeremy
    Keymaster

Hi,

If what you’re interested in is how much time passed between seeing the last word and making a choice on the Selector element, you don’t need to subtract any word-specific reading time: the value in the EventTime column for the Controller element corresponds to the completion of that controller, ie last press on space bar. So all you need to calculate is Selector EventTime - Controller EventTime

Jeremy

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.