Optional question after DashedSentence

PennController for IBEX Forums Support Optional question after DashedSentence

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    adamliter
    Participant

I’m having trouble figuring out a good way to include a question after some self-paced reading trials.

I have something like the following. Some of the rows in the CSV file also have a value for the column Question. Some are blank, however. I only want to include the question when there is one.

PennController.Template("Stimuli.csv",
      row => ["spr", "DashedSentence", {s: row.Sentence, display: "in place"},
      ]
    );

I initially tried something like this:

PennController.Template("Stimuli.csv",
      row => ["spr", "DashedSentence", {s: row.Sentence, display: "in place"},
            ...(row.Question !==  "" ? ["qst", "Question", {q: row.Question, as: ["დიახ", "არა"], hasCorrect: row.Answer}] : [])
      ]
    );

However, this isn’t working. I think part of the issue may be that I have a new sequence, qst. I had been trying to randomize the trials with PennController.Sequence("consent", randomize("spr"), "send"), but this doesn’t account for the question. Any suggestions for how to include a question only when there is one in the CSV file while keeping the question paired with the relevant sentence when they are randomized would be really appreciated!

• This topic was modified 4 years, 3 months ago by adamliter. Reason: formatting
    • This topic was modified 4 years, 3 months ago by adamliter.
    Jeremy
    Keymaster

Hi Adam,

You were almost there: the problem indeed comes from your inserting a second label inside a single Ibex-item array, which is an illegal syntax. Your code works perfectly well if you get rid of "qst", before "Question"—if your sentences and questions are paired, they represent a single item and so you shouldn’t need a second label.

You say that using spr only wouldn’t account for the questions: what exactly are you trying to do? If you don’t want the Question controllers (when they exist) to be paired with a respective DashedSentence controller, you should simply called Template twice on your table, first to generate the DashedSentence items, and then to generate the Question ones.

Jeremy

adamliter
    Participant

Hi Jeremy,

Thanks for your quick response as always. Yes, just deleting the "qst" label gives me the result that I was trying to achieve. I really appreciate your help. Thank you!

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.