In this tutorial, we will learn to implement a simple experiment design using PennController for IBEX.
Click here to see the project that we want to reproduce.
The empirical question under investigation is: how quickly do people notice the presence or absence of an -s on a verb?
A good exercise when you start designing an experiment is to try to schematize it.
In this case, we consider the following description:
- A welcome screen with some text, an input box where to enter an ID, and a button to start the experiment
- A series of trials all following the same pattern:
- The screen is blank during a brief period of time
- Two pictures appear side by side
- Brief pause
- A sentence starts unfolding visually and auditorily
- Wait until one of the two pictures is selected and the audio is done playing
- End of trial
- A final screen with a confirmation link
This is what we will have at the end of this tutorial, but as a first step, we will start with something much more basic: a one-screen task showing one sentence and two pictures asking for a key press.
Next: Getting started