Troubleshooting

PennController for IBEX Forums Troubleshooting

Tagged: 

Viewing 14 posts - 61 through 74 (of 74 total)
  • Author
    Jeremy
    Keymaster

It works when I use ?id=Jeremy, eg https://farm.pcibex.net/r/LAfkkh/?id=Jeremy (I used a copy of your project and checked the results file) so the problem must be coming from the configuration on Prolific

As far as I can tell, the PCIbex document is up to date with Prolific’s documentation

Jeremy

ediachek
    Participant

Thank you for double-checking… Maybe the problem is that I don’t see the latest submission. When I download the data, I can only see one submission even though last week it was 4. I have seen that other people have similar issues. Should I try refreshing?

Jeremy
    Keymaster

Yes, you should always refresh the page before clicking the “Results” button. Also allow for some time for the results to be processed by the server (up to a day if the experiment logs lots of lines and/or the servers are being overloaded)

Jeremy

ediachek
    Participant

Got it, thank you! Do you have any idea why I’m not seeing the results from 4 participants I saw earlier?

Jeremy
    Keymaster

I’m not sure, if you refreshed the page it shouldn’t be a problem

FYI, I only see in the database 1 submission (from Oct 5) collected via the demonstration link (unpublished) for the project whose URL you shared earlier, and 10 submissions (4 from Oct 5, 5 from Oct 6, 1 from Oct 10) collected via the data-collection link (published)

Jeremy

ediachek
    Participant

Okay, I can see them when I specify what submissions I want to download but unfortunately, none of them saved the Prolific ID. I might just use IP address as a unique participant identifier. Thank you for your help!

ediachek
    Participant

Hi Jeremy,

I have a good update: I figured out how to record the Prolific IDs! Turns out Prolific generates a link with syntax “pid” instead of “id”. Easy to overlook!

I have another question! In my experiments, participants are typing in made up sentences but when want to elicit a particular sentence structure where the verb is always between 2 nouns. To do that, it would be helpful to have a text input box and in it, a verb displayed in the infinitive form, so that participants know what the verb is supposed to be there but they can also change its form (e.g., to run –> ran). I know you can specify the text by typing in the second argument in TextInput(“answer”,“Type in here”) but would it be possible to display different text on each trial (from the .csv)?

I have tried this but it didn’t work:

newTextInput("verb_answer", getText("verb"))
                .size(200,25)
                .css("margin-right","0.75em")
                .css("border","none")
                .css("border-bottom","2px solid black")
                .css("resize","none")
                .css("font-size","18px")
                .css("outline","none")
                .log()

I would appreciate your help!

Jeremy
    Keymaster

Hi,

Use row to fetch content from your table, as in newTextInput("verb_answer", row.verb)

Jeremy

ediachek
    Participant

Hi Jeremy,

Happy New Year!

I have multiple input boxes on each trial and for some reason, the cursor gets focused on the last one. I know you can use the <input autofocus> attributed in HTML but haven’t figured out how to do that in PennController.

Here is how I tried to do it:

newTextInput("agent_answer", "")
                .size(200,25)
                .css("margin-right","0.75em")
                .css("border","none")
                .css("border-bottom","2px solid black")
                .css("resize","none")
                .css("font-size","18px")
                .css("outline","none")
                .css("text-transform", "uppercase")
                .css("font-family","Helvetica")
                .css("autofocus","autofocus")
                .log()

Here is the link to my experiment:
    https://farm.pcibex.net/r/ULYbzc/

I would appreciate your help!

Best,
    Yev

Jeremy
    Keymaster

Hi Yev,

PennController always gives focus to the most recently added TextInput element. If at one point in your trial, you want focus to go to a given TextInput element, you can use the Function element to execute some javascript code during runtime:

newTrial(
        newTextInput("first").print()
        newTextInput("second").print()
        newFunction( ()=>document.querySelector(".PennController-first").focus() ).call()
        newButton("Next").print().wait()
    )

Jeremy

mick
    Participant

Dear Jeremy,
    I am working on an eyetracking experiment involving pictures and audios. I am having problems with the audios (mp3). I can listen to the audios from the resources. In the log I don’t see the audios being loaded when the experiment loads. I put in a playbutton for the participant to press because I read that browsers could probably prevent autoplay. Now the playbutton shows up, but it is greyed out and does not function. What prevents the audio from being loaded?
    I would be grateful for any hints or tips. This is the demolink: https://farm.pcibex.net/r/VJCWUJ/

Best,
    Philip

Jeremy
    Keymaster

Dear Philip,

Only the first two rows of your CSV file reference valid filenames for your Audio elements in the audio column. Most other rows simply have an extension-less word (eg. “cucumber” or “chocolate”) and some have an empty audio cell. Some rows have an extra (unnamed) column saying “both”. You should rework your CSV table and make sure it is properly formatted

When I run your experiment in the first group I can successfully run trial #1, although I need to add another wait command somewhere in the trial’s structure otherwise it only lasts ~750ms (the duration of the two Timer elements in the trial) which is not enough for me to interact with the elements on the page; once I do, however, I am able to play vegetables1.mp3

Jeremy

ediachek
    Participant

Hi Jeremy,

I am having an odd issue with my experiment: https://farm.pcibex.net/r/SecMLy/. It worked fine yesterday but now when I’m trying to run it, it says “Loading, please wait…” and nothing happens after that.

Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated!

Best,
    Yev

Jeremy
    Keymaster

Hi Yev,

Do you still experience the issue? When I open your link now, I only see the “loading” message for ~1s and then it moves on to the preloading screen, and after some time moves on to the consent form and the rest of the experiment, which runs smoothly

Jeremy

Viewing 14 posts - 61 through 74 (of 74 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.