The drag and drop element

PennController for IBEX Forums Requests The drag and drop element

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    OwenJames
    Participant

Hello!

Is there already a drag and drop element? I was searching for it with the search tool, and only found your comment about it in the note for this part of the forum. I would like to see what ta drag and drop can do, and whether it can be combined with mousetracking?

Jeremy
    Keymaster

Hello,

There is no drag and drop element at the moment, unfortunately. Would you mind describing what you expect from it, besides mouse-tracking (which can already be done using the MouseTracker element). Would you like to be able to designate elements as draggable, other elements as droppable, and record which elements were dragged where?

Jeremy

OwenJames
    Participant

Hello Jeremy, my apologies for my late reply. I was thinking about using it with a draggable element in the form of a small object that would have to be dropped into a droppable element, indeed. I was curious to see whether the mouse tracking could then track the complete trajectory from the moment the draggable object is activated until it is dropped, as more active way to track what someone is doing. I might of course be able to use a function for this instead? I was mostly curious to see whether it would make any difference in the trajectory made as opposed to the mouse tracking that is already present or as a solution for touch screen devices.

Jeremy
    Keymaster

Hello,

What you describe sounds reasonable. In terms of recording the mouse position, I’d say all one needs to do is start tracking the mouse before the participant starts dragging the element, and stop after they dropped it. Once implemented, the drag-and-drop element would log the event times for drag-start and drag-end (=drop), and one could use those to focus on the range of mouse coordinates in the relevant time window.

I’ll see about implementing such an element in the future release

Jeremy

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.