Target Reading times (priming task)

PennController for IBEX Forums Support Target Reading times (priming task)

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    JulianaNovo
    Participant

Hi Jeremy,

I customised a Priming task. Everything seems to work well, but when I looked at my results, Pcibex is logging consecutive values for three columns (item, prime and target). I was hoping to get the reading times for the target word or the pressed answer timestamp. Besides the pressed answer (FJ). Instead I got consecutive numbers, I’m not able to figure out where they came from.

Hope you can help me out.
    Many Many Thanks,

Demonstration link: https://farm.pcibex.net/r/uLOOqe/

Jeremy
    Keymaster

Hi,

I’m not sure what you mean by “consecutive values,” but your code as it is now logs the value of row.item in each of the three columns:

.log( "item", row.item )
    .log( "prime", row.item )
    .log( "target", row.item )

So PennController reports in all three columns the value of the “item” cell from the row that was used to generate the current trial, as it’s been told to

You can find the timestamp corresponding to the keypress in the results line(s) corresponding to the Key element (which PennController knows to log because log is called on the Key element: newKey("answerTarget", "FJ").log().wait() // Proceed upon press on F or J (log it))

You can then compute response time by subtracting timestamps, as illustrated using R in the advanced tutorial

Jeremy

JulianaNovo
    Participant

Thank you, Jeremy. I’ll work on R afterwards.

I am wondering if there is a way to log the time between the target presentation and the button press? Instead of doing the math afterwards.. Kind of like it is done on self-paced reading task, in which we collect the reading times between each space bar press.

Again, Thank you.
    Juliana

Jeremy
    Keymaster

Yes, you could use a global Var element to compute the time difference between two timepoints in your sequence of in-trial commands on the fly, and report it as an extra column using newTrial().log():

newTrial(
      newVar("RT").global().set(()=>Date.now())
      newText("Hello world").print()
      newKey("FJ").wait()
      getVar("RT").set(v=>Date.now()-v)
    )
    .log("RT", getVar("RT"))

Jeremy

JulianaNovo
    Participant

Thank you. I did not think about it before.

Best,
    J

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.