F/J keys, blocking AFTER randomization, + q's about self-paced reading

PennController for IBEX Forums Support F/J keys, blocking AFTER randomization, + q's about self-paced reading

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
    KateK
    Participant

Hi all!

I’m putting together a self-paced reading experiment and have encountered some difficulties.

The first problem is transforming the “YES-NO” comprehension questions into questions that can be answered by pressing F (for YES) or J (for NO) as opposed to 1 or 2.

Currently, my experiment relies on a template, which produces the sentence and then the question, answered by 1 or 2.

Template("acdcd.csv", 
        row => ["spr", "DashedSentence", {s: row.Sentence}, 
        ... (row.Question !==  "" ? ["Question", {q: row.Question, as: ["Yes", "No"], hasCorrect: row.Answer}] : [])
         ]
       )

Is there a way to turn this existing template into something that calls for a response to a question with the F/J key? I have also seen some folks on here doing self-paced reading experiments in which all of the experimental items are hard-coded into the script, rather than generated with a template. Would it be better to hard-code every item?

The .csv has 54 target items, each of which has 6 conditions per item, and 60 fillers. We are aiming for a Latin square design. Currently, we are doing this by labeling each condition of the target item A through F under the column name “group” in the .csv. However, we also want to split our experiment into two blocks, with a break in between. We also want every participant to see all the fillers.

Is there a way to randomize the target and filler items, and THEN assign them to one of two blocks? That way, Participant 1 would see Item 26 in Block 1, but Participant 2 would see Item 26 in Block 2. We are also curious about constraint randomization and would like to set parameters for randomization such that a participant could see, at most, three target items in a row – is PCIbex able to support this sort of randomization?

Finally, is there a way to encode line breaks in a .csv file, or is this something that must be hard-coded (i.e., listing every target item in the actual script with the line breaks in the text in PCIbex itself)?

Thank you in advance for your help and support!

Best,
    Kate

• This topic was modified 1 year, 2 months ago by KateK.
    KateK
    Participant

RESOLVED

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.