code doesn't get updated despite the 'saved' message

PennController for IBEX Forums Bug Report code doesn't get updated despite the 'saved' message

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    Umesh
    Participant

Hi,

I am creating a test experiment. And the editor shows the code as ‘saved’ (on the top, next to the name of the project), but when I try to run it with ‘Open in new tab’ link, it shows errors that are in the older version of the code. I also experienced this problem when I added some new functionality (e.g. .settings.css(“font-style”, “italic”)) and it took some time till the changes reflected in the experiment (despite the ‘saved’ message). Is there a way to find out when exactly the code is saved (that way I can test-run the code only after it’s clear that the code is updated)? Otherwise, it’s not possible to know if the changes I made were incorrect or the code is not updated it.

Thanks!
    Umesh.

Jeremy
    Keymaster

Hi Umesh,

Thank you for reporting this bug. I am familiar with it, but have not yet been able to identify what causes it to happen. However, I found that it seems to be tied to the project itself, so it will probably keep happening with that specific project (and any other affected project) but you might still have projects for which it doesn’t happen. What you can try to do is duplicate your project and see if the problem persists with the copy. If not, I’d say keep working on the copy

Jeremy

Umesh
    Participant

Hi Jeremy,

Duplicating the project seems to do the trick.
    Thanks for the quick reply!

-Umesh

Umesh
    Participant

Hi Jeremy,

Maybe this information is helpful to solve this bug — recently I was editing the main.js file for a project and faced the same problem that the changes were not immediately reflecting in the experiment. I made a copy but soon the problem started showing with the new copy (and a copy of the copy) as well. The code especially had problems in updating when I copy-pasted a couple of lines from elsewhere (instead of editing directly).

Best,
    Umesh.

Jeremy
    Keymaster

Hi Umesh,

Thanks for the report. I am working on giving the farm’s code a refresh, which includes revisiting how the edits get saved. Unfortunately, the problems on the server side these past few days only made these problems worse. Hopefully it should happen less now that traffic is back to a more normal flow

Jeremy

bgardner
    Participant

In case the details are helpful, I’ve also been having this issue. Today it was working for a while, and then it stopped processing new edits. If I reload the page, it will show what the actual last-saved version is, usually the first few words/characters of what I just added. In the past, that would often fix things, but today it isn’t (not a huge deal, because I’m not on a deadline, but it’s good to know this bug is a Thing and not just me losing my mind)

bgardner
    Participant

We’re having this bug again, unfortunately. Copying the project fixed it for a few minutes. Does anyone know if there are other ways to get around it?

Jeremy
    Keymaster

Hi,

I am sorry you are experiencing this problem. The workaround actually shouldn’t require copying the whole project: re-creating the file that displays the problem (after saving a backup copy and deleting it from the project) should fix the issue, at least momentarily, which is less dangerous than duplicating the whole project and then deleting the original one

Jeremy

ediachek
    Participant

Hi Jeremy,

I have been having this issue for a while but copying the experiment typically helped. Since yesterday, the problem seems to have gotten worse. Right now, when I make edits to the code the progress message is stuck on “saving…” and when I open the project in a new tab it takes a really long time to load. Also, oddly all “Next” buttons disappeared even though they still appear in the code.

I was planning on starting data collection today-tomorrow but would you recommend waiting until I can get a smooth final run through the experiment?

I would appreciate any help and guidance!

Thanks,
    Yev

Jeremy
    Keymaster

Hi Yev,

I just restarted the servers, so the situation should be better now. I am still working on identifying and addressing the core problem though, so expect instability in the next few days

Apologies for the inconvenience,
    Jeremy

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.