assigning group at the global level

PennController for IBEX Forums Support assigning group at the global level

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    bgardner
    Participant

Hi! I’m new to web languages, so I have something that should be possible but I’m probably approaching it wrong. I’m trying to transfer over from Qualtrics, and I have an experiment with several blocks:

1. read 500-word passages and answer a few questions
    2. read sentences introducing characters
    3. answer multiple choice questions about each character
    4. do a sentence completion task about each character

I’ve been able to implement #2-4 easily using the groups function in Templates, because all those stimuli fit easily in one csv. And it seems to be assigning people to the same group for each Template.

What I’m trying to do is have one group variable that I can use to select the items for #1 out of a set of html files, and then the items for #2-4 out of a csv file, and then update the count of how may participants per group. There are 4 conditions for #1 and 3 lists for #2-4, so I have to have 12 lists instead of randomizing each set separately.

I could maybe get everything into 1 csv, but putting a 250 word text in one cell would be very unwieldly. Is there a straightforward way to do this?

Thanks!

Jeremy
    Keymaster

Hi,

You can have all your HTML files in your project, but only reference the filenames of the ones you want to show for each group in a CSV file.

By default, PennController relies on Ibex’s internal counter which gets incremented whenever a participant finishes the experiment. The Template command will use that counter to select the rows corresponding to a specific group, in a cycling way. If you have one table with 4 groups (say A-D) and another one with 3 groups (say A-C), then the groups will match for the counter’s values 0, 1 and 2, but when the counter reaches the value 3 then it will move on to group D for the first table and go back to group A for the second table, and so on.

Here is a project that illustrates these two points: https://farm.pcibex.net/r/ZzqAbG/

Jeremy

bgardner
    Participant

Thank you! Putting the HTML file names in the stimuli list, and realizing that it keeps track of the group throughout the whole script worked.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.