Reply To: Backtracking Latin square/finding the right seed

PennController for IBEX Forums Support Backtracking Latin square/finding the right seed Reply To: Backtracking Latin square/finding the right seed

staceyra
Participant

Hi, this is KateK posting from her fellow lab manager’s account – my personal account isn’t allowing me to reply or start new topics.

I followed your advice to create a separate .csv file containing filler items and removing the Group assignments from the fillers to facilitate a design where all participants see all fillers.

Then, I tried to implement the custom function in two different ways and failed – I’d really appreciate some help in figuring out where I went wrong!

I first tried defining the custom function at the top of the script like you suggested, at the top of the script, and then “called” the new function further down when I wanted to start generating experimental trials, which ended up looking like this:

Template("acdcdtargets.csv", myCustomTrialFunction
        .print()
        .log()
        .wait()
        .remove()

Unfortunately, this completely halts the experiment and does not allow the Template to generate trials. If I try to close the parenthesis, like this – (“acdcdtargets.csv”, myCustomTrialFunction) – it crashes the tab.

I also tried defining the custom function inside a template further down, within the trial. It makes sense why this doesn’t work, I guess, because it doesn’t refer to any .csv files – I don’t know how PCIbex would even be able to know where to pull information from to generate templates.

Template(myCustomTrialFunction = row => newTrial( "experiment"+row.catg,
  newController("DashedSentence", {s: row.acceptability}))
        .print()
        .log()
        .wait()
        .remove()

This also stops the experiment after the practice items.

Would you be able to help me figure out what I’m doing wrong so that I can ensure that all participants see all filler items?