Reply To: conditions in self-paced reading experiment

PennController for IBEX Forums Support conditions in self-paced reading experiment Reply To: conditions in self-paced reading experiment

Jeremy
Keymaster

Hi,

I’m not sure which Text element represents your context sentence in the script that you included in your message, but here are a few notes:

• The wait command has no effect on Text elements, it doesn’t “mean” anything (what would be the relevant event to wait for?)—so you can get rid of the .wait() command on your first Text element
  • Remember that the script reads your commands and executes them line by line, from the top down, which means that it will start by printing your first Text element (the one that contains row.S) then “wait” (= no effect) and immediately remove that element. So you won’t have time to see it being displayed on the page. You probably want to move that .remove() command somewhere else, or get rid of it entirely if you want to keep row.S displayed on the screen for the duration of the whole trial
  • Much like the wait commands on Text elements, the print command has no effect on Key elements, again it doesn’t “mean” anything (what would there be to display?)—so there too, you can get rid of the .print() commands on your Key elements
  • Your last two Scale elements are both named correct, which will be confusing once you .log them because they will be hard to distinguish in your results file, you should consider renaming the second one “article” or something

The script I showed in my previous message was just an example. It shows ‘tricky’ questions along with two possible answers, for example the first row shows the question “What is the result of 2+3*4?” and prints two possible answers: answer1 = “14” and answer2 = “20”—we know that the result of 2+3*4 is 14 (because multiplication takes precedence) so in the table we added a column named “correct” where the value for the first row is “answer1,” the correct answer. If you look at the two .log commands attached to the closing parenthesis of the newTrial command, the first one precisely references row.correct, which makes sure that the lines in the results file will also report which of answer1 or answer2 was the correct choice for every trial generated in that Template command from the table named “myTable.”

Jeremy