Using .before/.after on Canvas

PennController for IBEX Forums Support Using .before/.after on Canvas

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    mg5171
    Participant

Hello,
    I’m trying to print a full sentence, centered and with equal spacing between the words. Each word is retrieved from a different column in the corresponding CSV file, which I’ve defined before this snippet. I can specify exact locations for each word, like this, but the spacing isn’t the same when the words are different lengths. Same issue if I define location with percentages.

getCanvas('canvas')
        .add(20, 'center at 50%', getText('subject'))
        .add(140, 'center at 50%', getText('verb'))
        .add(200, 'center at 50%', getText('word'))
        .add(300, 'center at 50%', getText('ending'))
        .settings.css('font-size', '1.5em')
        .print()

Is there a way to use .before and .after on a Canvas? If this has been answered somewhere else, please feel free to just forward me to it!

Jeremy
    Keymaster

Hello,

You can use .before and .after on any element, including Canvas elements themselves or Text elements that you print on a Canvas element. For example, you can do that:

newText("subject", "I "),
    newText("verb", "print "),
    newText("word", "words "),
    newText("ending", "on a line")
    getText("subject").after(getText("verb").after(getText("word").after(getText("ending")))).print()

Or alternative you could print the next Text elements inside the first one, making sure they all appear as a horizontal sequence (css command):

newText("subject", "I ").css("display", "flex").print(),
    newText("verb", "print ").print(getText("subject")),
    newText("word", "words ").print(getText("subject")),
    newText("ending", "on a line").print(getText("subject"))

Jeremy

mg5171
    Participant

Thank you!

mg5171
    Participant

One more thing: you have the text defined with a space after each word, so that the spaces appear when the words are printed. My spreadsheet does not have those space, and, while I could add them, that will complicated things on the other end. Is there a way to define a newText in PCIbex that consists just of a space, and add that with the .after command? When I try to do this, it either bumps the next word to the following line or doesn’t do anything.

Jeremy
    Keymaster

If you are willing to add as many pieces as words, adding whole new Text elements would seem too much. Could you just add a space character in the code, like this?

newText("subject", row.subject+" "),
    newText("verb", row.verb+" "),
    newText("word", row.word+" "),
    newText("ending", row.ending)

Jeremy

mg5171
    Participant

Great, thanks!

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.