Server setup

PennController for IBEX Forums Support Server setup

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    nasimbhmn
    Participant

Hi,

I’m trying to set up a stand-alone server, but I keep receiving a strange error. I installed python 2 on my server and made a folder “PCIbex” inside which I copied the folder of my experiment. I downloaded the archive of my experiment from PCIbex and extracted the folder before moving it to the server.
    I navigated to the folder “www” and ran python server.py --genhtml ./. No message appeared (I don’t know if that’s normal or not). The original Ibex documentation says that this command should start the server on port 3000 by default. But I cannot reach http://myipaddress:3000/experiment.html. Does it mean that something is wrong?

I continued with navigation to the root directory of the repo where all the experiment files are located and ran the following command:
    sh mkdist.sh 0.3-beta-1234

This time I got the following error:

*** Remember to run server.py with the --genhtml option if necessary. ***

cp: invalid option -- 'X'
    Try 'cp --help' for more information.
    tar: ibex-0.3-beta-1234/LICENSE: Cannot stat: No such file or directory
    tar: ibex-0.3-beta-1234/README: Cannot stat: No such file or directory
    tar: ibex-0.3-beta-1234/mkdist.sh: Cannot stat: No such file or directory
    tar: ibex-0.3-beta-1234/example_lighttpd.conf: Cannot stat: No such file or directory
    tar: ibex-0.3-beta-1234/docs/manual.md: Cannot stat: No such file or directory
    tar: ibex-0.3-beta-1234/www/conf.js: Cannot stat: No such file or directory
    tar: ibex-0.3-beta-1234/www/jsDump.js: Cannot stat: No such file or directory
    tar: ibex-0.3-beta-1234/css_includes/*.css: Cannot stat: No such file or directory
    tar: ibex-0.3-beta-1234/js_includes/*.js: Cannot stat: No such file or directory
    tar: ibex-0.3-beta-1234/data_includes/*.js: Cannot stat: No such file or directory
    tar: ibex-0.3-beta-1234/www/json.js: Cannot stat: No such file or directory
    tar: ibex-0.3-beta-1234/www/server.py: Cannot stat: No such file or directory
    tar: ibex-0.3-beta-1234/server_conf.py: Cannot stat: No such file or directory
    tar: ibex-0.3-beta-1234/www/shuffle.js: Cannot stat: No such file or directory
    tar: ibex-0.3-beta-1234/www/jquery*.js: Cannot stat: No such file or directory
    tar: ibex-0.3-beta-1234/www/PluginDetect.js: Cannot stat: No such file or directory
    tar: ibex-0.3-beta-1234/www/experiment.html: Cannot stat: No such file or directory
    tar: ibex-0.3-beta-1234/www/overview.html: Cannot stat: No such file or directory
    tar: ibex-0.3-beta-1234/www/util.js: Cannot stat: No such file or directory
    tar: ibex-0.3-beta-1234/www/backcompatcruft.js: Cannot stat: No such file or directory
    tar: ibex-0.3-beta-1234/other_includes/main.js: Cannot stat: No such file or directory
    tar: ibex-0.3-beta-1234/chunk_includes/*.html: Cannot stat: No such file or directory
    tar: ibex-0.3-beta-1234/www/soundmanager2-jsmin.js: Cannot stat: No such file or directory
    tar: ibex-0.3-beta-1234/www/soundmanager2_debug.swf: Cannot stat: No such file or directory
    tar: Exiting with failure status due to previous errors

I don’t understand why it says No such file or directory. I can see all the files are there.
    Could someone please help me understand what’s going on and how I can fix this?

Very best, Nasim

• This topic was modified 2 years, 8 months ago by nasimbhmn.
    Jeremy
    Keymaster

Hi Nasim,

The documentation is a little confusing about this, but setting up an experiment on a webserver is actually simpler than that, assuming your server readily runs CGI Python scripts (most do).

You should follow the step-by-step CGI instructions. The references to webspr are outdated, but in any case, if you don’t rename any file, the only thing you need to edit (if I remember correctly) is line 20 of server_conf.py to SERVER_MODE = "cgi" (so only bullet 5 from the documentation should be relevant). Then your experiment will be accessible at https://your.domain/path/experiment.html and automatically served on port 80/443 (depending on whether you’re on http or https)

The “stand-alone” mode from the Ibex documentation refers to running the experiment locally, that is, not on a webserver. I sometimes use it when I develop experiments on my own computer, I open a terminal, navigate to the www folder of my project, type python server.py, then I open my browser and visit http://localhost:3000/experiment.html and there I can see my experiment running

I have never needed to run sh mkdist.sh

Let me know whether you were able to run your experiment

Jeremy

nasimbhmn
    Participant

Thanks, Jeremy! Yes, the Ibex documentation is really confusing.
    With your explanations, it’s more clear now. I will try again and let you know.

Best, Nasim

nasimbhmn
    Participant

Hi Jeremy,

I still have a problem with running PCIbex on my server. Here is what I did:

In order to add a domain to my server, first I need to add a user. So, my domain will be added to a www folder at this address: /home/users/myusername/www. I copied the whole folder of my experiment into this www folder. I edited the server_conf.py as you said. Then ran the server.py inside the www folder of the experiment (located at/home/users/myusername/www/pcibex_experiment/www), and I got the following error:

File "server.py", line 1844, in <module>
        for l in control(env, start_response):
      File "server.py", line 1499, in control
        base = env['PATH_INFO']
    KeyError: 'PATH_INFO'

Can you tell me what’s going wrong?

Best, Nasim

• This reply was modified 2 years, 8 months ago by nasimbhmn.
    Jeremy
    Keymaster

Hi Nasim,

If you’re going with a CGI setup, you do not need to run any script yourself: your webserver will take care of doing it itself when you visit your experiment’s page in a browser

Do you get an error when you visit your experiment’s page?

Jeremy

nasimbhmn
    Participant

Ahh, sorry for not reading your last reply carefully!
    I just visited the experiment page. There is no error, but only a blank page appears.

Jeremy
    Keymaster

Maybe your webserver does not automatically execute CGI scripts then, would you mind sharing your experiment’s URL with me, here or at support@pcibex.net?

Jeremy

nasimbhmn
    Participant

Sure, I will send it right away.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.