Running by Conditions

PennController for IBEX Forums Support Running by Conditions

Tagged: 

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Rickyy
    Participant

Hello,

I have a very simple problem that I could not come up with a solution for. Basically, I have 4 different conditions in my experiment. For each condition, I have 30 sentences, which makes 120 items in total. All the items in all four conditions are matched and I want one participant to see only one condition of one sentence and not other 3 conditions of it. They will see 30 sentences in total (apart from fillers) in a randomized order of these 4 conditions. I could not accomplish this with sequencing.

I tried grouping in my CSV file with a “group” column, giving A, B, C, and D to the four conditions. This resulted in just a mess for me since it shows only the condition A to one participant, B to the other and so on. What would be the way for this?

Thanks,

Jeremy
    Keymaster

Hello,

You need to distribute A, B, C and D over the conditions, as illustrated in the tutorial where participants in group A see items 1 and 3 with a plural inflection and items 2 and 4 with a singular inflection, and participants in group B see the complementary association: items 1 and 3 with a singular inflection and items 2 and 4 with a plural inflection

Jeremy

Rickyy
    Participant

Hi Jeremy,

Thanks for your reply. I applied the way how it is grouped in the tutorial and it works fine. Now, participants from group A are able to see different conditions with different items.

My another question is also about how to randomize the conditions within a group. To be more clear, for example, in the tutorial, the participant from group A will see plural inflection of the first item, then singular inflection of the second item and so on, as stated in the table. What I want to do is if a participant sees the plural inflection of the first item, then it should be possible for them to see the plural inflection of the second item, not necessarily the singular. This should also apply to all items; they can see either plural or singular inflection of every item. After seeing all the items (let’s say 30 items in total), of course, the number of each inflection they see must be balanced (15 singular, 15 plural) but there should be variation in inflections each participant sees. How can I implement such a structure? Thanks for your help.

Jeremy
    Keymaster

If you continue reading the tutorial, you’ll see that the order is randomized later on

The different pre-defined functions that allow you to manipulate the order of items based on their labels are listed in the original Ibex documentation

Jeremy

Rickyy
    Participant

Hi Jeremy,

Thanks for the info. Yes, the order is randomized but not in the exact way I want. Actually, while searching, I came across this recent post of yours and this is exactly what I am looking for. It actually worked very well, but as you mentioned, only half of the items are shown. How can I overcome this problem?

Thanks again,

Jeremy
    Keymaster

Hi,

The post of mine you mentioned expands on a technical point that was raised earlier in the discussion. The solution to the problem discussed in that thread is given two posts up

Jeremy

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.