Results are not saving

PennController for IBEX Forums Support Results are not saving

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    caljones
    Participant

Hi Jeremy,

My task is almost done! I have everything in place, but my results aren’t saving. The participant ID/race/gender/all template-related variables aren’t saving. I’m not quite sure what it is and was wondering if you could take a look. My templates all use the
    “variable =>”, my .log’s are within the Template right parenthesis, my variables are all named correctly, and everything else runs as normal. When I look at the result files, I see two lines, one with the trial start time and one with the trial end time, for each trial in the experiment.

Here is a link to my experiment: https://expt.pcibex.net/ibexexps/caljones/Avatar/experiment.html.

Additionally, I was wondering if there’s anything in particular that I have to do to later calculate reaction time to keypress. I.e., does it automatically log the start times of all actions? I would need the start time of a newImage command and the time of a key press.

Thank you so much,
    Callie

Jeremy
    Keymaster

Hi Callie,

I created a duplicate of your experiment to test it, and all the fields were logged just fine in my results file. Here’s an example of one line:

1592357826,fe0dad65f46cfd47ed714d7c0045b9a5,PennController,127,0,experimentalsequence3,NULL,Key,FJ,Key,NA,Never,dsfasdfasd,White,Female,1,SHE,1,0,0,1,LCWW00.jpg,0,(failed keypresses happened)

As you can see, columns 13-15 (starting after “Never”) report the ID-race-gender values

Since you’re not logging these values for the trials labeled practicesequence however, they are not reported on the corresponding lines—if you want them there too, just add .log commands to the corresponding newTrial(...)

Another thing you probably want to change is use .log("last") instead of .log() on your Key elements: by default only keypresses that validate a wait command are recorded, and since you have no wait command in your trials (because you use a Timer as a proxy) you will never see which key was pressed. Passing "last" as the parameter will report a line for the last key that was pressed during the trial, if any (ie. the one that will end the Timer early). This way the same line will also report a timestamp indicating when the key was pressed. You could then subtract the timestamp from the previous line (_Trial_,Start) to get a reaction time, but if you’d rather calculate your RT from when the image was printed, use .log() on your Image element too so your results file reports a line indictating when print was executed

Let me know if you have any questions

Jeremy

caljones
    Participant

Hi Jeremy,

Thanks for your response! The results file seems to be working now, perhaps I just didn’t realize before. I’ve added the “last” and a log() underneath the images. Unfortunately, when I add “last” to the .log() underneath the keys, sometimes the experiment will freeze when no key is pressed. This issue is resolved when I remove it. The issue returns when I add “first” as well. Could I get your advice on this?

Thank you so much!
    Callie

Jeremy
    Keymaster

Hi Callie,

There is a bug in how .log("first") and .log("last") are coded—I’ve fixed it for the next release, thank you for pointing it out to me

In the meantime, I think you can use .log("all") instead and it should work, and if you ever see more than one line for one Key element in your results file, just use the last one to conduct your analyses

Jeremy

caljones
    Participant

Hi Jeremy,

This fixed it. Thank you so much for all your help while I was making this! Excited to show it off to people now 🙂

Thanks,
    Callie

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.