Restricting to desktop

PennController for IBEX Forums Support Restricting to desktop

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    kmoulton
    Participant

Hi,

I’ve searched through the forum here and don’t *think* I’ve seen this issue exactly addressed, but forgive me if it is. We want to ensure that only desktop users (or at least not phones) can do our SPR study – or at least to have a way of tracking this. I’ve seen other experiments that have browser/OS checks and so on, but I do not know how that is done and if it would help. Any thoughts/tips?

Thanks

Jeremy
    Keymaster

Hi,

There’s no bulletproof method to ensure that someone is using a desktop rather than a phone or a tablet, but there are good approximation methods.

One option is to check the width of the screen:

newTrial(
        newFunction( ()=>window.matchMedia("only screen and (max-width: 760px)").matches )
            .test.is(true)
            .success( 
                newText("<p>We're sorry but this experiment requires a wider resolution.</p>"+
                        "<p>Please do not use a modile device to take this experiment.</p>"+
                        "<p>If you are using a desktop browser, make sure to maximize this window.</p>")
                    .print()
                newButton().wait() 
            )
    )

Another solution is to use user agent sniffing:

newFunction( ()=>navigator.userAgent.match(/Android|BlackBerry|iPhone|iPad|iPod|Opera Mini|IEMobile/i) )
        .testNot.is(null)

Jeremy

florians

Another simple feature that makes it at least very hard (possibly impossible, not sure) to proceed in an experiment with a device without a physical keyboard is to just include a ‘press space to continue’ step, using newKey(). Without a text input field, there generally is no straightforward way (if any, haven’t found one) to bring up the virtual keyboard on a phone or iPad, which means you cannot continue. (I learned this by accident in a recent study where I was leaving tablet use as an option on Prolific, and had lots of people falter precisely for this reason.) Thinking on it, I wonder whether self-paced reading would work on devices without a keyboard to begin with – is there any way to proceed within a sentence without pressing a keyboard key?

kmoulton
    Participant

thanks!!
    As for spr even being possible on a phone: i found that iphones (n=2 types) would display a “Next” button to progress through the regions (but yes – as you say – I get stalled at a “press any key to continue” screen). I was just surprise that this Next button appears on the phone when on a desktop one just presses the spacebar to proceed. This is native Ibex.

Jeremy
    Keymaster

Alex Drummond wrote this in utils.js: var isIPhone = navigator.userAgent.match(/iPhone/i) || navigator.userAgent.match(/iPod/i);

And the code of DashedSentence contains a conditional on isIPhone to print the “Next” button. I guess the longer term idea was to expand the check to any mobile browser (remember that Alex started writing ibex in the early 2010s)

Jeremy

murphybeck
    Participant

User Agent detection is not a recommended technique for modern web apps. You can use JavaScript window.matchMedia() method to detect a mobile device based on the CSS media query.

if (window.matchMedia("(max-width: 767px)").matches)
    {
    // The viewport is less than 768 pixels wide
    document.write("This is a mobile device.");
    }

Another approach would be a responsive media query. You could presume that a mobile phone has a screen size greater than x and less than y.

For example:

@media only screen and (min-width: 320px) and (max-width: 600px) {}

You may also use navigator.userAgentData.mobile .

const isMobile = navigator.userAgentData.mobile;

Jeremy
    Keymaster

Thank you for the detailed updates

Unfortunately navigator.userAgentData.mobile is not currently supported by Firefox and Safari according to MDN Web Docs

Checking the min/max width of the page is indeed a minimally intrusive proxy, although it doesn’t really check whether the participant is using a mobile device—admittedly, user agent sniffing also has its limits, as it can be tweaked by the client

Jeremy

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.