Re-reading sentences in the SPR option

PennController for IBEX Forums Support Re-reading sentences in the SPR option

Tagged: ,

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    maria.goldshtein
    Participant

Hello,

I was wondering whether it is possible to set up the prefab SPR design to have an option to re-read a sentence (once). Meaning, at the end of a sentence, to have two options: to re-read the sentence or to move to a comprehension question. If a participant chooses to re-read the sentence, after re-reading they will not be able to re-read it additional times.

Is this possible? Do you have any advice on how to go about that?

Thanks in advance!

Jeremy
    Keymaster

Hello,

Assuming you use the native DashedSentence and Question controllers, you could embed them in a PennController trial like this:

newTrial(
        newController("1stpass", "DashedSentence", {s: "This is a dummy sentence"}).log().print().wait().remove()
        newCanvas("buttonContainer", "30em", "1em")
            .add(               0 , 0 , newButton("Continue") )
            .add( "right at 100%" , 0 , newButton("Read the sentence again").callback( 
                clear()
                newController("2ndpass", "DashedSentence", {s: "This is a dummy sentence"})
                    .log().print().wait().remove()
                getButton("Continue").click()
              )
            )
            .center()
            .print()
        getButton("Continue").wait()
        clear()
        newController("Question", {as: ["Yes","No"], q: "Was the sentence felicitous?"}).log().print().wait()
    )

Jeremy

maria.goldshtein
    Participant

Thank you! I will try this out.

Should this just go at the end of the existing trial code? (I do mean the native controllers)

Jeremy
    Keymaster

Hi,

I am not sure how to answer your question. What does your code currently look like? Are you using native controllers? If so, are you inserting them inside a PennController trial (newTrial( /* ... */ newController) or are you using native-Ibex syntax (items = [ [ // ...)?

The code from my previous message is just an example: it generates one (unlabeled) trial where you can read a self-paced sentence once or twice before finishing the trial. You can start a new empty project on the farm and paste the code in the editor just below PennController.ResetPrefix() to try it

Jeremy

maria.goldshtein
    Participant

I understand. I have not written code yet, I am just getting set up to do so, and planning to use the native controllers.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.