Randomizing the sentences in a self-paced reading experiment

PennController for IBEX Forums Support Randomizing the sentences in a self-paced reading experiment

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    Lbotews
    Participant

Hello!
    I want to make the sentences in my self-paced reading experiment appear randomly. Some sentences are followed with comprehension questions and some are not. Currently, I can only randomize the order of those which are not followed with questions. Is there a way to randomize all the sentences? Here is my demo:
    https://farm.pcibex.net/r/PIjuNx/
    Thank you!

Jeremy
    Keymaster

Hello,

If you want to use the method in that project, you would just need to repeat the lines from var count=2; to newArray.push(originalArray[i]); using new variable names (eg. count2, newArray2, originalArray2) and in your newTrial command, reference the new newArray variable in place of the sentences followed by a question, just like you’re currently doing with the other ones, eg. newController("DashedSentence", {s : newArray2[0]})

However you may be interested in creating one trial per sentence(/question) instead of including them all in a single trial. To do so, you would list your sentences and questions in a CSV file and use Template to create as many trial as you have rows in the CSV file. You can conditionally include a question in the trial by looking up the value of a column, as described in this post. Then you can simply use randomize or rshuffle in Sequence to randomize the order in which the sentences(+questions) appear

Jeremy

Lbotews
    Participant

Got it! Thank you very much!

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.