Randomization

PennController for IBEX Forums Support Randomization

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    exp
    Participant

Hi Jeremy,

I have a problem which can be easily solved (I believe)- but I am unable to do so.

For my experiment, there are 4 practice items and 36 critical items following. I would like to randomize the trials – but I’d like to keep 4 practice item constant. I’d be great if I can randomize practice items within “Practice” items and 36 critical items within “Critical” items

When I tried Sequence( randomize(“Experiment”)), it randomized all 40 trials and I lost the practice sequence.
    I also could not quite follow this: https://github.com/addrummond/ibex/blob/master/docs/manual.md#seq-randomize-and-shuffle

Could you help me with the code?
    Thank you

Jeremy
    Keymaster

Hi,

Did you label your trials appropriately so you could do something like Sequence( randomize("practice") , randomize("critical") )?

Jeremy

exp
    Participant

Both practice items and critical items are within the same csv file – so they are both under “Experiment” label. So now I understand that if I have two separate .csv files (one for practice items and one for critical items) – then the problem will be solved.

I just wonder is there a way to do the randomization while keeping them within the same .csv and under “Experiment” label?

Thank you so much

Jeremy
    Keymaster

It doesn’t matter how many CSV files you have, just label your trials differently. Say you have a Condition column in your table that alternates between Practice and Critical:

Sequence( randomize("Experiment-Practice") , randomize("Experiment-Critical") )

Template( row => newTrial( "Experiment-"+row.Condition , // ...

Jeremy

exp
    Participant

Thank you Jeremy, problem solved!

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.