Prevent long stimuli from splitting in two lines

PennController for IBEX Forums Support Prevent long stimuli from splitting in two lines

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    DariaBelova
    Participant

Hi!
    In my experiment I have quite long sentences and some of them split in two lines, but this is very unfortunate. Could you please provide me some ways of keeping them in one line? I tried to change the font size with .css command but it didn’t help, the text doesn’t change, but maybe I’m doing something wrong. Here is the demonstration link: https://farm.pcibex.net/r/RQqgmh/
    Thank you!

Jeremy
    Keymaster

Hi,

You could use .css("white-space", "nowrap")

Also, I see in your code that you have defaultText.css("font-size", "80") but then you don’t create any Text element, instead you use Controller elements to display content: the css command won’t affect those elements. You can try calling .css("font-size", "80") on each Controller element

Besides, you might want to edit Aesthetics/PennController.css to change width: 40em !important; to width: 60em !important; for example (you would then need to change margin-left: calc(50vw - 20em); to margin-left: calc(50vw - 30em); to keep the content centered)

Jeremy

DariaBelova
    Participant

Hi Jeremy, thank you very much for your help!

I tried to use .css(“white-space”, “nowrap”) and it worked for the DashedSentence controller, but as soon as I change the controller to AcceptabilityJudgment (I also checked DashedAcceptabilityJudgment but it’s the same) the sentences continue to split. Am I doing something wrong? Here is the code I’m using:

newController("AcceptabilityJudgment", {
            s: row.sentence,
            as: ["1", "2", "3", "4", "5", "6", "7"],
            presentAsScale: true,
            leftComment: "Плохо", rightComment: "Хорошо",
            timeout: 10000
        		})
        		.css("white-space","nowrap")
        		.center()
                    .print()
                    .wait()
                    .log()
                   .remove()

Sincerely,
    Daria

Jeremy
    Keymaster

Hi Daria,

You can remove .css("white-space","nowrap") and add this to Aesthetics/global_main.css instead:

.PennController-nowrap .FlashSentence-flashed-sentence, .PennController-nowrap .DashedSentence-sentence {
        white-space: nowrap;
    }

This will apply the CSS rule to the sentence in your controller as long as you name the element "nowrap":

newController("nowrap", "AcceptabilityJudgment", {
        s: row.sentence,
        as: ["1", "2", "3", "4", "5", "6", "7"],
        presentAsScale: true,
        leftComment: "Плохо", rightComment: "Хорошо",
        timeout: 10000
    })
        .center()
        .print()
        .wait()
        .log()
        .remove()

Jeremy

DariaBelova
    Participant

Thank you very much, Jeremy, it worked!

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.