Pictures taking too long to load

PennController for IBEX Forums Support Pictures taking too long to load

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    AdinaCameliaBleotu
    Participant

Hi Jeremy,

Sorry to bother you! I have an issue with some pictures I am trying to load. I created a github where I uploaded the pictures as a zip in chunk_includes (including a txt file as indicated on the site). I then pressed the git sync button and also used this command in my script:
    PreloadZip(“https://github.com/cameliableotu/primingdenominals/blob/master/chunk_includes/Lightedsmallerimages.zip”)

However, it is taking very long to upload the pictures:
    “Please wait while the resources are preloading

This may take up to 1min.”
    And, sometimes, I cannot even see them.
    Before the actual experiment, I also used CheckPreloaded ()
    I was wondering what might be the issue with the pictures and what I am doing wrong. Thanks a lot!!

AdinaCameliaBleotu
    Participant

This is the link with the experiment (where I uploaded all the pictures in the PCIbex): https://farm.pcibex.net/r/rhjewx/.
    🙂
    (It works equally bad or even worse with the github sync, as the images do not even appear then, just their outline).
    Thanks a lot for your help!!

Jeremy
    Keymaster

Hello,

You shouldn’t be able to see any picture, since you cannot apply the necessary “granting access” step on GitHub: https://doc.pcibex.net/how-to-guides/managing-resources/#uploading-and-granting-access-to-zip-files
    I see you have a .htaccess file in your ZIP file, but this is not what you should be doing: the .htaccess file should be uploaded to a webserver besides the ZIP file. GitHub is not a valid webserver, so you cannot use the ZIP method by uploading zip files to GitHub

This means that your zip file will never get downloaded, and your experiment will never have access to the images. Do you ever see any picture displayed at all? I don’t know how that could be. My recommendation is you upload the images directly to your project by dragging them over your project’s Resources folder (it might take a few minutes, because there are many files, and make sure to refresh the page after all uploads appear as completed, to check that no file is actually missing)

The command CheckPreloaded will simply check that preloading took place, it won’t preload anything by itself (preloading starts automatically at the beginning of the experiment) it will just insert a pause until the resources have preloaded, or a timer has expired (5min by default, iirc)

There are other problems with your experiment, notably that there is no list.csv file even though you have a Template command that looks for one. You should not turn the debugger off until you are ready to run your first real participant

Jeremy

Jeremy
    Keymaster

It looks like I wrote my message as you were posting your second message

The debugger (once I turn it back on) gives me this error message:

No column named ‘PrimePictureOther’ found in table list.csv. Did you mean to type ‘TargetPictureLiteral’?

Once I fix the typo (your colum’s name is actually PrimePictureother1) then there is no preloading issue

Also, you can delete the PreloadZip line, since your images are now in your project’s Resources folder

Jeremy

AdinaCameliaBleotu
    Participant

Dear Jeremy,
    I see!

I have also tried uploading all the pictures in the PCIbex Resources. There always was a separate list.csv in my resources. The experiment works, and I can even see the pictures. The problem is the screen asks to wait for about 30 sec- 1 minute to load each set of pictures. And so I was wondering how this could be remedied?
    Thanks,
    Camelia

Jeremy
    Keymaster

Dear Camelia,

Did you correct the typo I mentioned in my second message?

(in my first message, I was assuming that the github repo contained all the files you added to your project, and list.csv was not present in your repo’s chunk_includes folder—my bad)

Jeremy

AdinaCameliaBleotu
    Participant

EDIT: oops, I clicked ‘Edit’ on this message instead of posting a new answer… sorry about that!

I failed to see that and kept thinking it was the fault of the preloading.

This is why I say that leaving the debugger on will save you hours of troubleshooting 😉

Jeremy

• This reply was modified 2 years, 6 months ago by Jeremy. Reason: I messed up!
    AdinaCameliaBleotu
    Participant

Yes, it works!!! I now corrected it! Thank you!!!

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.