Only even groups of stimuli work

PennController for IBEX Forums Support Only even groups of stimuli work

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    DariaBelova
    Participant

Hi Jeremy!

Recently I published two identical experiments with different stimulus material and one of them went wrong: only the even experimental lists within the Latin Square worked as intended. The odd ones showed stimuli without fillers and failed with “ERROR: Bad value for ‘s’ option of DashedSentence.” in the middle (the quantity of respondents to each group that I got is the following: A 3, B 24, C 3, D 22, E 4, F 20, G 5, H 23). I tried then to leave only the groups A, C, E and G (file “SV_Stimuli_AC.csv), but the problem didn’t go: in this case C and G are okay but A and E are not. The second experiment with the same code went well. I checked my stimuli several times but I can’t see any differences between the good and the bad ones — moreover, if I copy just one group of stimuli to a completely new experiment with the same code, it works well. Could you please help me to fix this?

The link to the first experiment: https://farm.pcibex.net/r/BPJmqc/
    The link to the second experiment: https://farm.pcibex.net/r/XRLogX/

Sincerely, Daria

Jeremy
    Keymaster

Hi Daria,

The file SV_fillers.csv in your first experiment contains three empty rows at the end: those form a second group besides “Fil,” and Template cycles through the two groups based on the counter, just the way it cycles through the groups in SV_stimuli_AC.csv. When it runs the second group, the rows generating the filler trials are empty, so row.sentence is not defined, thus raising the error you report. You can also see that in the debugger’s Sequence tab: in problematic runs, you only have two filler items, associated with “PennController::SV_fillers.csv:33” and “PennController::SV_fillers.csv:34,” 33 and 34 referring to the 33rd and 34th rows (excluding the header row) from SV_fillers.csv—the very last row is ignored, as it is truly empty: unlike the two previous ones, it doesn’t even contain a linebreak character

Delete the extra rows in your CSV file, and also maybe just remove the “group” column entirely from that table, since you want to use all the rows for all participants anyway

Jeremy

DariaBelova
    Participant

Thank you very much, Jeremy!

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.