newKey with numeric choices

PennController for IBEX Forums Support newKey with numeric choices

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    mg5171
    Participant

Hello,
    I am trying to do some feedback after a practice item. I found the following on the documentation, and it works in my script:

newKey("forj", "fj")
        .wait()
    getKey("forj")
        .test.pressed("f")
        .success( newText("success", "You're right!").print() )
        .failure( newText("failure", "You're wrong, 0.999... and 1 do refer to the same number").print() )

However, I’d like the keys to be 1 and 2 instead (ABX task, so numeric keys make more sense). But when I change ‘fj’ to ’12’, and change it in test.pressed (.test.pressed(‘1’)), it stops working. Any idea why? Is it something with numeric keys?
    Thanks!

Jeremy
    Keymaster

Hello,

PennController should automatically detect when the argument is an actual number, or a string exclusively consisting of digits. Visibly it fails to do so, and therefore expects a keypress producing the character with code 12, which is inaccessible in a single keystroke.

To fool PennController, add a dummy non-digit character to your digit string, for example (this one’s called the “replacement character,” I doubt anyone would have configured their keyboard to type it in a single keystroke):

newKey("1or2", "�12")
        .wait()
        .test.pressed("1")
        .success( newText("success", "You're right!").print() )
        .failure( newText("failure", "You're wrong, 0.999... and 1 do refer to the same number").print() )

Jeremy

mg5171
    Participant

Thanks for helping me fool the system! Works perfectly.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.