Modifying SendResults()

PennController for IBEX Forums Support Modifying SendResults()

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    baheimer
    Participant

Hi Jeremy,

I’m running a study that is quite long. For piloting, it has been taking people 40-50 minutes. For the real study, we’ll actually be running on blind participants and anticipate it taking even longer.

Because we have such specific participants and the study takes so long, we would really like to have the results saved very often. I’ve found another forum posts where you explained how to block the pop-up message that accompanies this. This was super helpful! But the other issue is that, as you know, each time that SendResults runs, it saves every trial that has been done so far, not just the trials that have happened since the last SendResults. And because of the length of the study, we end up with a ton of redundant data. We set up a new server for online studies just for this reason — our results files were quickly surpassing the PCIbex size limit.

Now space is not really an issue. But given that I am now free to directly modify the PCIbex scripts, I am trying to see if I can make SendResults only save the newest data. I haven’t had much luck so far, but I am also generally unfamiliar with JavaScript and so have been pretty lost looking at the scripts. I was wondering if you had any tips or guidance on how I might go about making this change.

It is not the worst thing in the world, but since I’ve now set up this experiment server, my lab will continue to use the server going forward. So if possible, I would like to set things up such that running and analyzing data is as straightforward as possible and space never becomes an issue.

Thanks so much for all you do!

Best,
    Brianna

Jeremy
    Keymaster

Hi Brianna,

Try editing the file other_includes/main.js and find line 204, t.options._finishedCallback(); and insert a new line before that:

allResults = [];

I haven’t tested it so you should do so yourself, but if things work as I expect them to, you should see a new entry in your results file for each SendResults, as if it were coming from a new participant, but which should only contain lines for the unsaved trials so far

Let me know if this solution worked

Jeremy

baheimer
    Participant

Hi Jeremy,

Sorry for the delay in getting back to you. This solution worked perfectly! Thank you for the help.

Best,
    Brianna

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.