MediaRecorder in Safari

PennController for IBEX Forums Support MediaRecorder in Safari

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    bta
    Participant

I can’t seem to get projects that use MediaRecorder elements to run in Safari — I get the following error message that initiates the recorder:
    The following error occurred: TypeError: undefined is not an object (evaluating 'w("audio").mimeType')
    I get this error even in a blank project started with the “Oral Production (MediaRecorder)” link under “Start a new project.

I searched the forum and found that people have had issues with MediaRecorder elements in Safari, but I am wondering if those posts were from before they became fully supported by Safari (since Safari 14, which was released Sep 2020).

(For whatever it’s worth: I’m on Safari 15.4, using macOS 12.3.)

Jeremy
    Keymaster

Hi,

The PennController MediaRecorder element (which relies on, but is distinct from, the MediaRecorder API) only checks webm and ogg for audio, but Safari 14+ only references mp4 as supported, which is why you get that error

I will need to add audio/mp4 to the next release, and raise an explicit error message when no supported type is found. In the meantime, feel free to upload a copy of PennElement_mediarecorder.js to your project’s Modules folder, replacing line audio: {'audio/webm': 'webm', 'audio/ogg': 'ogg'}, with audio: {'audio/webm': 'webm', 'audio/ogg': 'ogg', 'audio/mp4': 'mp4'},. You’ll get an error about MediaRecorder being defined multiple times, but I think the experiment should still run ok

Jeremy

bta
    Participant

Great, yes, that worked! Thank you!

antonm
    Participant

I don’t seem to have PennElement_mediarecorder.js. Is that normal? How can I work around this? I understand that this only applies to desktop computers and not Iphone?

Jeremy
    Keymaster

Hi,

The PennController library comes with the MediaRecorder element by default: you shouldn’t have a PennElement_mediarecorder.js file in your project, barring exceptions

Jeremy

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.