Media Recorder Technical Details

PennController for IBEX Forums Support Media Recorder Technical Details

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    lh555
    Participant

Hi Jeremy,

I have been having some problems when I tried using the MediaRecorder element. We set up a server where we upload the audio files. On my end, I am able to run the experiment and see that they uploaded correctly to the server. However, when other people try running it, they get an error that it could not GET the address. I tried running it on a different browser and it didn’t work either. I can’t figure out why it would only upload the data from my computer. Are there any tips on how we should set up the Apache server and file ownership directories and protections? Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

lh555
    Participant

In addition, can the data server where we upload the data use a self-signed certificate?

lh555
    Participant

Following up, we encountered some strange behavior when we tried to solve this issue — sometimes it would let other people successfully upload the data to our server, but we were only able to do it when their browser said that it did not trust the SSL certificate.

It is worth mentioning that we are using the PCIbex farm to run our experiments. Our server has a self signed certificate, which the browser flags as invalid. We are wondering if the Media Recorder element requires specific browser settings/configurations for Firefox and Chrome? I am always able to upload the audio files when I use Firefox on my computer, but can’t do it when I use Chrome. Other people are not able to do this even if they use Firefox. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Jeremy
    Keymaster

Hi,

The MediaRecorder element does not place any constraints over transfer, it is the browser that requires CORS validation when sending a POST request from one domain (farm.pcibex.net) to a different domain (where your server is hosted). It could be that you somehow overrode the certificate’s invalidity in your instance of Firefox, but other browsers will just refuse to proceed with the POST request in the absence of a valid certificate

It is possible to use a self-signed certificate, but you’ll likely run into issues like the one you describe here. If possible, I recommend using certbot to automatically get letsencrypt certificates, which won’t necessitate manual approval

Jeremy

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.