Keeping track of participant accuracy

PennController for IBEX Forums Support Keeping track of participant accuracy

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    miriam
    Participant

Hello!

I’m planning a self-paced reading study and want to keep track of participants’ response accuracy on comprehension questions presented after certain trials. I’m using Template to read in the trials from a .csv file.

I have tried to keep track of accuracy by defining a global variable (newVar(“PracAcc”).settings.global()) and then updating it on every trial, but if I initialize this variable in Header, it gets reset in every trial, whereas if I initialize it outside of Template or Header, the variable cannot be accessed. How can I keep track of participant accuracy throughout the experiment?

Many thanks in advance for your help!
    Miriam

Jeremy
    Keymaster

Hello Miriam,

Both options should normally work. Here is an example script, switch the commenting // to test out the two options:

PennController.ResetPrefix(null)

AddTable("myTable", "Correct\nYes\nNo\nYes\nNo" )

Header( 
        // newVar("Acc", []).global() 
    )

newTrial( "intro" ,
        newVar("Acc", []).global(),
        newButton("Start").print().wait()
    )

Template( "myTable" , row => newTrial( "exp" ,
        newVar("computedAcc").set(getVar("Acc")).set(v=>v.filter(a=>a===true).length/v.length),
        newText("accuracy").text(getVar("computedAcc")).print("left at 5px", "top at 5px")
        newScale("answer", "Yes","No").button().print().wait()
            .test.selected(row.Correct)
            .success( getVar("Acc").set(v=>[...v,true]) )
            .failure( getVar("Acc").set(v=>[...v,false]) )
    ))

newTrial( "end" ,
        newVar("computedAcc").set(getVar("Acc")).set(v=>v.filter(a=>a===true).length/v.length),
        newText("accuracy").text(getVar("computedAcc"))
        newText("Final accuracy: ").after(getText("accuracy")).print()
        newButton().wait()
    )

In this example I set the global Var element to an array of true‘s and false‘s so I can then compute the current accuracy on each trial by dividing the number of true‘s by the length of the array.

Note that some Var-related bugs were fixed with PennController 1.8, so make sure to update your version of PennController if the script above does not work for you

Jeremy

carlap
    Participant

I have a similar issue. I want to keep track of correct answers and I tried to integrate the information above but without success. I am not using a scale, I am using the arrow keys. My code to track the keys is:

newKey(“pressOnArrow”, “ArrowLeft”, “ArrowRight”) .callback( getTimer(“timeout”).stop() ).log(“all”) , newTimer(“timeout”, 5000).start().log().wait() , getKey(“pressOnArrow”) .disable() .test.pressed().success( newText(“Good job”).print() ) .failure( newText(“Too slow”).print() ))

Obviously that is not my original coding (thanks for the earlier help). Now, I want to track if the ArrowLeft or ArrowRight is the correct answer and store it in a variable to display at the end of a section of trials. I tried integrating:
    .test.selected(row.Correct)
    .success( getVar(“Acc”).set(v=>v+1) )

But it does not seem to work. I do not need to keep track of wrong answwers. Any thoughts? Thanks!

Jeremy
    Keymaster

Hi,

There is no selected test for Key elements, what you are looking for is test.pressed

Example:

newTrial(
        newKey("test", "ArrowLeft", "ArrowRight")
            .wait()
            .test.pressed( "ArrowLeft" )
            .success( newText("Left").print() )
            .failure( newText("Right").print() )
        newButton().wait()
    )

Jeremy

miriam
    Participant

Thanks a lot Jeremy, both solutions work perfectly for me!

miriam
    Participant

Hi Jeremy,

I now ran into a new problem when trying to access my accuracy variable during the experiment to provide feedback. Basically I just want to check whether the value lies between certain thresholds, but the statement below always seems to evaluate to false and print “Low accuracy”, even if I manually set accuracy to a higher value. Do you know how to fix this?

newTrial("feedback",
        newVar("Acc", 0.8).global()
        newText("low_acc", "Low accuracy")
        newText("high_acc", "High accuracy")
        (
          getVar("Acc") > 0.5 ? [
            getText("high_acc").print()
          ] : [
            getText("low_acc").print()
          ]
        )
        newButton("Exit")
            .center()
            .print()
            .wait()
    )
    Jeremy
    Keymaster

Hi,

You are using a plain javascript ternary conditionals where you should be using a PennController test command. I briefly explain this point below the code in this message.

Your trial should look like this:

newTrial("feedback",
        newVar("Acc", 0.8).global()
        newText("low_acc", "Low accuracy")
        newText("high_acc", "High accuracy")
        getVar("Acc").test.is( v => v > 0.5 )
            .success( getText("high_acc").print() )
            .failure( getText("low_acc").print() )
        newButton("Exit")
            .center()
            .print()
            .wait()
    )

Jeremy

miriam
    Participant

Awesome, thank you! I had also tried using test.is() before but somehow it did not produce the intended results then. Now everything works 🙂

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.