Format of table is invalid (PennController: 4)

PennController for IBEX Forums Support Format of table is invalid (PennController: 4)

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    mschrumpf
    Participant

Hello everyone.
    I am trying to test an experiment, but I it gets stuck on loading every time. The debugger only displays the error message:
    “[timestamp] Format of table is invalid (PennController: 4)”
    I have two .csv files in the Resources folder. Both file extensions are in lower case. So I have no idea what causes the error.
    I would be very grateful if anyone could help me out here.

Jeremy
    Keymaster

Hello,

An invalid-format message does not mean that the extension is wrong, but that the content of the file is not formatted in a way that PennController can parse. What separators do you use in your CSV file? Ideally you want to use commas, but tabs would work too. I think any other separator character (eg. simple space) will fail. Also, double-check how you handle quotes and escaping characters: if you have text cells containing the same character as your separator character (eg. typically a comma) you want to make sure that when you save your file as CSV, those cells are surrounded by quotes, to indicate that the character (eg. the comma) is not actually separating two columns in those cases.

Jeremy

mschrumpf
    Participant

Thank you, Jeremy.
    I checked my .csv file again and realized it contained fields that were only partially marked as strings and which contained commas.
    The format looked like this:
    ...,xyz:"xyz,xyz",...
    I made sure that those fields begin and end with quotation marks:
    ...,"xyz,xyz",...
    It seems to be working now.
    Best regards
    Matthias

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.