October 20, 2021 at 3:08 pm #7413monicadoParticipant
Hope you’re doing well! 🙂
I’m working on a study with quite a view video files that need to be preloaded. Unfortunately, I cannot reduce the number of files any further. Although many of my participants have been able to complete the study perfectly fine, a subset of my participants have been having trouble loading the full study. They have messaged me saying the same thing: At some point, the experiment just seems to crash. Given that they’re all identifying a very similar point, I wondered whether it might be related to these new limits imposed by the Chrome browser.
On Prolific, the study is set to allow only desktop devices. I’ve put a warning on the Prolific page about no tablets/phones. And, I’ve encouraged people to use Firefox whenever possible in case this is the issue.
But, if you’ve got any suggestions, I’d really appreciate it.October 20, 2021 at 5:23 pm #7414JeremyKeymaster
If they all encounter the same loading problem at the exact same point, chances are that there’s a typo with a filename (possibly in a group-specific line of a CSV table, if you say some participants were able to complete the full study)
Would you mind sharing the link to your study with me, so I can investigate?
JeremyOctober 22, 2021 at 11:35 am #7423monicadoParticipant
Sorry about that! Here is the link: https://farm.pcibex.net/r/sMlvJt/.
I think this ended up being a Chrome limit thing. I added a warning page to the experiment (in case participants miss/didn’t read the study description) and this has cut down on the issue dramatically! Also, because there wasn’t any grouping variable in the experiment (i.e., for this pilot we just ran one list), I don’t think it was a typo (or else every single person would have gotten that error).
Do you happen to know if they’re going to change this limit issue? I feel like a lot of people use Chrome!
As always, thanks for looking into this!
MonicaOctober 22, 2021 at 6:52 pm #7425JeremyKeymaster
Chrome lifted the limit one or two days after they introduced it, so I doubt that’s what’s happening. In fact I still have preloading issues when I take your experiment with Firefox, when I hit the video trials
I am working on fixing the issue, and I think I am getting there. Feel free to create a copy of your experiment (for backup) and replace its PennController.js file (from the Modules folder) with this one: https://github.com/PennController/penncontroller/blob/master/dist/PennController.js
Let me know if the problem persists
- You must be logged in to reply to this topic.