Reply To: including attention checks and break

PennController for IBEX Forums Support including attention checks and break Reply To: including attention checks and break

suphasiree
Participant

Hi Jeremy!

My experiment is a lexical decision task containing 61 experimental items and 61 fillers. There are 4 groups of experimental items; each participant would see one of these four sets, plus the fillers (same fillers across all groups).

I’ve divided the total 122 items into 3 parts, so that participants can take a break twice during the experiment. I’ve used the pick() function that you described above and the rshuffle() function to achieve this.

Here is the code I’m working with:
critical = randomize(“main.trial”)
fillers = randomize(“filler.trial”)

Sequence( rshuffle(pick(critical, 20),
pick(fillers, 20)
),
“break_1”,
rshuffle(pick(critical, 20),
pick(fillers, 20)
),
“break_2”,
rshuffle(pick(critical, 21),
pick(fillers, 21)
),
“send” , “goodbye”
);

This is what I want to create:
Part 1
– Randomly pick 20 experimental items and 20 fillers, mix them together and present them in random order
Break1
Part 2
– Randomly pick 20 more experimental items and 20 more fillers, mix them together and present them in random order
Break2
Part 3
– Pick the remaining 21 experimental items and the 21 fillers, mix them together and present them in random order

As described above, I want the experimental items and the fillers to be randomly shuffled together. However, right now they are evenly presented like this: experimental, filler, experimental, filler, experimental, filler …

How can I fix the code so that the experimental items and filler items are randomly mixed together? I tried using randomize() instead of rshuffle(), but that did not work either.

Thanks so much for your time.