Reply To: Question about assigning conditions, groups + randomization

PennController for IBEX Forums Support Question about assigning conditions, groups + randomization Reply To: Question about assigning conditions, groups + randomization

Jeremy
Keymaster

Hi,

There are many ways to go about this, but here is a suggestion. You can first use Template to read the CSV table into a javascript dictionary, then manipulate that dictionary in a later Template command to create three items per row, but only in the NEG or POS condition for each pair. Here’s on way of doing it:

// Note: Template gives us access to the content of the CSV file, but it executes the function it is passed
// only after this whole script file has been executed, this is why we need to place our code inside Template

const targets = {} // store the rows from the CSV file into a javascript dictionary
Template("target_test.csv", row => {
    // the dictionary lists all the same-pair items under the same key
    if (targets[row.pair]===undefined) targets[row.pair] = {POS:[],NEG:[]};
    targets[row.pair][row.target_polarity].push(row);
    return {}; // we're not actually generating trials here: return an empty object
})

AddTable("dummy", "a,b\rc,d") // Dummy one-row table to execute some code from Template once after the code above
Template("dummy", () => {
    const targetKeys = Object.keys(targets);
    fisherYates(targetKeys);   // shuffle the references to the pairs
    let new_targets = []; // this will contain half the items (only POS or only NEG for each pair)
    for (let i=0; i<targetKeys.length; i++) // keep the POS rows for the first half, the NEG rows for the second half
        new_targets.push( ...targets[targetKeys[i]][ i<targetKeys.length/2 ? "POS" : "NEG"] );
    // Create three items per row that we kept
    new_targets = new_targets.map(t=>
        [ [t['construction 1'],t['c1 question']],[t['construction 2'],t['c2 question']],[t['construction 3'],t['c3 question']] ].map(t2=>
            ["experiment_"+t.pair,"PennController",newTrial(
                newText([t.context_adj,t.target_adj,t.target_polarity,t2[0],t2[1]].join("<br>")).print()
                newButton("Next").print().wait()
            )]
        ) // this map returns an array of 3 trials
    ).flat(); // flatten the array to have all the trials at the root, instead of having a series of arrays of 3 trials
    // Shuffle new_targets as long as we can find three items in a row that come from the same pair
    while (new_targets.find( (v,i)=>i<(new_targets.length-2) && v[0].split('_')[1]==new_targets[i+1][0].split('_')[1] && v[0].split('_')[1]==new_targets[i+2][0].split('_')[1] ))
        fisherYates(new_targets);
    window.items = new_targets; // now add the trials to the experiment's items
    return {}; // we added the items manually above: return an empty object from Template
})

Jeremy