Reply To: Randomize blocks and trials but keep breaks in the same order

PennController for IBEX Forums Support Randomize blocks and trials but keep breaks in the same order Reply To: Randomize blocks and trials but keep breaks in the same order

ediachek
Participant

Hi Jeremy,

Thank you for your response and I’m sorry, I still have a question. Let me rephrase my issue.

Each one of my 4 blocks includes study trials and test trials. I would like the 4 blocks to be randomized across participants, and the trial order within each block to be randomized as well. However, test trials for block 1 should always follow study trials for block 1 because participants can only do a memory test on the items they have already studied. So possible orders of presentation would be:

[“study_trials_2″,”test_trials_2″,”study_trials_4″,”test_trials_4″,”study_trials_1″,”test_trials_1″,”study_trials_3″,”test_trials_3”]

OR

[“study_trials_1″,”test_trials_1″,”study_trials_3″,”test_trials_3″,”study_trials_4″,”test_trials_4″,”study_trials_2″,”test_trials_2”]

etc.

I was hoping to achieve this by just grouping study and test trials together into one variable “block” but not sure how to achieve that. I might also be missing another solution, so I would appreciate your advice!

Thanks again for all your help!

-Yev